Monday, 23 November 2009

My wedding vows - amended version

M,

This is the poem I read to you on our wedding day as part of my wedding vows. I've amended it slightly to reflect our change in circumstances:

I promise to give you the best of myself
and to ask of you no more than you can give

(Please bear in mind that "the best of myself" is a slightly different version to the one you married. This one comes complete with hairy legs, no make up and stinking of baby sick)

I promise to respect you as your own person
and to realise that your interests, desires and needs
are no less important than my own.

(Whilst this is true, playing war games on your Playstation whilst Little Legs bounces in her jumperoo is not allowed, nor does it constitute child care)

I promise to share with you my time and my attention
and to bring joy, strength and imagination to our relationship.

(If I can squeeze it into that hour when Little Legs is in bed and before I collapse on the sofa from exhaustion)

I promise to keep myself open to you,
to let you see through the window of my world into my innermost fears
and feelings, secrets and dreams.

(The window's a bit blurry as I haven't had chance to clean it)

I promise to grow along with you,
to be willing to face changes in order to keep our relationship alive and exciting.

(I can face the changes, I'm just not sure about the alive and exciting bit. Does managing to get a shower and cook the tea without interruption constitute exciting?)

I promise to love you in good times and in bad,
with all I have to give and all I feel inside in the only way I know how.
Completely and forever.

(Now this bit I can definitely do. I love you hon)

Love from me x

"I promise by Dorothy R Colgan" (as amended)

7 comments:

  1. Ohhh what lovely vows - and its amazing how much relationships change when we have LO's isn't it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. There is an award for you at my blog. Thanks for the honest scrap, I've bared my soul now and got my confession off my chest. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved reading your renewed vows! It all gets better - honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! you do make me laugh and i think we can all identify with the amendments, but very lovely vows x

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and practical - what more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. World of a mummy - thank you thank you thank you. I'm not worthy

    muummmmeeeeee - thank you and I just found your blog. Love it fellow vino drinker

    Diney - I'll hold you to that

    Emmie and Heather - they are lovely vows, if I'd known then what I know now would definitely have gone with the amended version from the start!

    ReplyDelete