Monday, 14 December 2009

A Baby Brain hat trick

Since I was about four months pregnant I have suffered from a well known affliction called "Baby brain". The condition has worsened since Little Legs was born. For the last few weeks I have been praying for a cure due to my impending return to work. In the job I do such a condition could have disastrous results but Friday proved that the symptoms are here to stay.

On Friday I received a phone call from my beautiful niece who had just turned 21. ("You're not old enough to have a 21 year old niece", I hear you cry. I didn't actually hear you cry that but in an ideal world you would be reading this and thinking exactly that). "Thanks for the birthday money" she said. I said "You're welcome hon". She said "Auntie Carrot....?" I said "Yes". She said "Is there any reason why the card was blank?". Doh. I'd dutifully chosen a lovely card, put a bit of dosh in, sealed the card and lovingly addressed the envelope, completely forgetting to write in the card at all. The only reason she knew it was from me was because she recognised the writing on the envelope.

Later that day I went to visit my friend. Autoglass turned up to fix a chip in her windscreen and the guy knocked at the door to ask if I could reverse my car slightly so he could park his van. He was quite cute so not sure if that caused the distraction but do you know what I did? I unlocked the car, got into the passenger side and just sat there. The guy just looked at me and held his hands up in a bit of a "What are you doing you freak gesture". I didn't even have the wherewithal to try and cover for my mistake by pretending to get something out of the glove compartment or pick something off the floor for gods sake. I got out of the car, beetroot colour and scuttled round to the drivers side mortified as he stood there chuckling. I returned to the house deciding not to mention it to my friend. In my view what happens with the Autoglass man should stay with the Autoglass man. He on the other hand had other ideas. He promptly knocked on the door and said to my friend "You'll never guess what she just did..". I mean come on, it wasn't that big a deal. Weird maybe but not a big deal.

Since I decided to write this post and shed some light on the baby brain phenomenon I have been trying to rack my brain and remember what the third thing was. I can't.

7 comments:

  1. I've just left a comment on little mummy about writing lists to get through the day - pleased to hear we all have those duh! moments. I laughed at the thought of you sitting waiting in the passenger seat!! Very funny! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last instance has really brightened up my morning - I almost woke Moo from her nap with my chortles!!!

    We're all the same. Baby brain really is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diney and bumbling thank you for the comments. Pleased I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, I suffered from this when the girl was born. I once put the breastpump into a pan of boiling water to sterilise it and then left the house aqnd drove to town. The only reason the house didn't burn down was because FIL happened to pop in and noticed the air turning rather acrid and found a pan of molten plastic on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear - we've all been there. I remember once I put cereal in the fridge and the milk in the larder a week after I put my shopping away, wondering how I forgot to get mozzarella (which was later discovered festering rather smellily in OH's car).

    When my cousin was 11 my Aunt was still putting frozen bags of fish fingers in his bedroom and his game gear games in the freezer so I don't think there is a quick fix to this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I think i'm till suffering from that... I too blanked cards! About 3 of my Christmas cards had nothing in .. lucky I went back through them to insert photo's!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, world of a mummy and Emma thanks for comments. Actually, maybe I'm cured otherwise the comments box might be blank? I can live in hope can't I?

    ReplyDelete