Friday, 12 February 2010

Five years on...


Exactly five years ago today me and M went on our first date. This was quickly followed two days later by date number two on Valentines Day. I think we both knew even then that it was the beginning of something special.

We first met the November before at work and I remember even then telling a friend that I had met the man I was going to marry. There were no bolts of lightning or love at first sight moments, I just knew.

We got off to a fairly rocky start in the early days. M was the kindest, most honest, most genuine man I had ever met and for some reason this made me hit the destruct button and run for the hills. By August things had settled down and we moved in together and from then on began a closeness and a friendship so amazing and special that it is difficult to put into words.

M proposed in January 2007 whilst we were on a romantic trip to Prague. We were at the top of one of the towers on the Charles Bridge at sunset as M went down on one knee. It doesn't get any more romantic than that. I didn't see it coming though and whilst M was preparing for his big moment I was leaning over the side of the tower trying to see if I could spit on the innocent public down below. Nice touch!

We married on 31st August 2008. Our wedding invitations quoted 'Beautiful is the day that is touched by love' and beautiful it was. Whilst we made our vows we both shared a very special secret, I was six weeks pregnant with Little Legs. We remembered reading at the time that baby's heart starts to beat from about six weeks and we always told ourselves that LL's started the day we married.

Like any couple we have our ups and downs but when I look at M and I look at our beautiful daughter I feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Glad you returned from the hills because it sounds as though you've got a wonderful marriage x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assay, the heartbeat bit has given me tingles. You romantic soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sweet.

    Oh and we share a wedding anniversary :D (although James and I got married in '07)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful :)

    I've nominated you for a sunshine award over at mine... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm a romantic little devil when I want to be. Eoforhild how funny is that? and RebaMc thanks so much for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaw that is so lovely and romantic. You're lucky to have had such a beautiful proposal and exciting secret at your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely, feel-good story! Happy Valentines Day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that - imagine that your baby's heart starts beating as you read your vows, how wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful story, well apart form the spitting on people stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worldofamummy - you're right I'm very lucky. How's back to work?
    Working Mama - HVD to you too. Hope you had a good one.
    Muddling Along - isn't it a lovely thought?
    Heather - pleased you liked it. I have my classy moments as you can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is truly romantic - and I love your little six weeks secret. What a fab post. M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwwww...sweetest post ever. What a lovely secret you had, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Audrey and OMCW thanks so much for the lovely comments. Little Legs was the best secret we've ever had x

    ReplyDelete